It’s Spring time — Even though it doesn’t feel like it quite yet! And that means a lot more outdoor time for our little ones, sunshine and our favourite spring holiday — Easter!
I was scrolling my IG feed and came across another mama with a fun idea for a simple Easter themed breakfast, and well I decided to try it out with my toddler, and she absolutely loved it!
The bunny was destroyed within seconds so I made sure to grab a few shots of it before so you can try it at home with your kids.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 banana
- 3-4 strawberries
- 2 blueberries
- 2 rasperries ( or 1 cut in half)
- 2 waffles (store bought or homemade)
- 1 piece of celery or 6 chives (for the whiskers)
Create your Bunny Waffle!
So the next few steps are pretty simple and easy, but feel free to get creative. You don’t have to use the same fruits/veggies that we did and we encourage you to use whatever you have in your fridge, like we did!
Step 1: Prep all of your fruits
- Cut your strawberries in half (length-wise) and set aside. You will use these for your bow-tie and ears.
- Slice your banana into 4 equal pieces and lightly smash 2 of those pieces with a fork. The smashed pieces will be the cheeks, the regular slices will be the eyes.
- Slice your raspberry in half. the small mound will be the nose and the flatter piece will be the middle part of the bow tie.
- Slice your celery into 6 thin strips, these will be for the whiskers. You can also use chives, cucumber or anything that can be sliced or mimic bunny whiskers!
Step 2: Cut your waffle
- Keep one of your waffles whole and in tact and place on the plate
- Take the second waffle and cut it in half
- Next, trim the bottom of one of the halves, about one inch from the bottom. This is now an ear. Repeat with the second half. Place on top of the whole waffle.
- Use the leftover pieces and arrange to make the base of the bow tie and place at the bottom of the whole waffle.
Step 3: Arrange your fruit on the waffles
This is the fun part! Get creative and arrange your bunny’s face using the fruit you have cut up and whatever else you have in your fridge and cupboards. Get your kids involved as well if they are of the age to participate. I find the more that I involve children in cooking activities, the more likely they are to eat and finish their meals!
For those of you that need a little more guidance with where to place the fruit, follow the steps below:
- Place your cut strawberries on top of the ear pieces to mimic the inside of the rabbit ear.
- Place the 2 (un-smashed) banana pieces in the centre of the whole waffle.
- Place one blueberry on top of the banana slice. Repeat on other side.
- Take the 2 smashed banana pieces and place under the eyes and place the rounded raspberry piece in between these two pieces.
- Take a strawberry piece and trim it to make it look like a little mouth. Place underneath the cheeks.
- Take the whiskers and place under the nose, 3 on each side.
- Place two more strawberry pieces on top of the bow tie waffle pieces. Add the extra raspberry piece in the middle of the bowtie.
Serve with some extra fruit and your favourite maple syrup and voila! You have now created an Easter Bunny Waffle!
Let us know if you try out any of our recipes by posting in the comments or sharing your food pics on Instagram with #sflfoodie and #strollinforlattes — Don’t forget to check out our other Recipes, Reviews and Travel posts for more great information!
PS: Some of our posts contain affiliate links and partnerships, which means if you purchase or sign up – Strollin for Lattes may get something in return. As always..all opinions, ideas and reviews are entirely our own.