These are my favourite biscuits ever! I have been making them for about 6 years now and every time they are light and fluffy with a crisp outer layer.
Pair them with your favourite chilli or soup or make it breakfast and use as the base for eggs benny! I also just snack on them warm with some butter and they definitely hit the spot!Jump to Recipe
Not going to bore you with a long rant about the biscuits, so here’s what you need to know about how to make them.
- Do not overwork the dough. Lightly combine the buttermilk as per the recipe until it is clumpy and just holding together. Then dump out on your counter and push into a 2 inch thick circle or rectangle
- You can add more cheddar but the moisture may not let your biscuits rise.
- You can opt out of the green onion if it’s not your thing and try adding another veg — just be aware of the moisture content.
- You can easily just cut this recipe in half and make 8 large biscuits or 10-12 small to medium size ones. I use a 2 inch cutter for mine and i feel they are the perfect size!
- You can also freeze and then bake at a later date! Just make sure to add 3-5 minutes onto the time when baking.
- They are completely toddler approved too!
Here are some pics of the process so that you have a visual if it’s your first time working with doughs!
We hope you love these as much as we do! Let us know if you try out any of our recipes by posting in the comments or sharing your food pics on Instagram with #sflfoodie and #strollinforlattes — Don’t forget to check out our other Recipes, Reviews and Travel posts for more great information!
Cheddar Scallion Biscuits
These all butter, cheesy, flaky biscuits are little clouds of heaven! Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside are all you need to pair with your favourite meal!
- 2.5 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 8 tbsp Butter (chilled and cubed) (1 stick)
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 2 Green Onions (sliced thin)
- 1 cup Buttermilk
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
Grate cheddar and slice green onions, put aside
Whisk flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together
Add the cubed butter, and break it down with your fingertips or a pastry cutter, working it into the dry ingredients to coat the little butter pieces with flour. It should be crumbly with small chunks of flour coated butter.
When the butter has been smushed down into large flakes, stir in the cheddar and green onions.
Pour in the buttermilk and gently mix together. This should just moisten the mixture and be clumped together. Do not over mix.
Flour your countertop lightly and gently pat into a large circle or rectangle. It doesn't need to be perfect. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out little biscuits (or, just cut it up into square pieces). You can also use a cup or cookie cutters you have.
Place the biscuits on a parchment or silicone mat-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until light golden colour.
PS: Some of our posts contain affiliate links and partnerships, which means if you purchase or sign up – Strollin for Lattes may get something in return. As always..all opinions, ideas and reviews are entirely our own.